Wednesday, August 5, 2015

I Can Hear Moosic or More Cow Bell : Project:Gorgon

Turns out third time really was the charm for Project:Gorgon. Maybe it was shooting low with a target of just $25,000 that did it. Maybe it was the considerable buzz building up around the game. Maybe it was that enough people finally tried the alpha and thought "y'know, I'd buy this if it ever gets finished".

Eric Heimburg is giving some of the credit to word of mouth and he wants more:

"...we ask that you please continue to spread the word about Project Gorgon and our campaign as all those social media posts have really made a difference. If you are a part of a community that could be interested in Project Gorgon, a simple post could make a big difference."

I'm more than happy to do what little I can, Eric, although I think this "community" has probably already got the message, what with all the positive reviews and commentary from Syp, Wilhelm, Psychochild, Aywren, Paeroka ...

Whatever the reason, the third P:G Kickstarter took barely a week to fund. With the timer still a few days shy of half way the thermometer stands at $28k and rising.

In Kickstarter, success means stretch goals and P:G has some good ones. The first, a unique mount skin for backers above the $75 pledge level, is already in at $25k. A whole new race, Dwarves, looks like a sure bet. They come on board at $30k.


At $35k the game will get a boost to its player-made music system. Even cows will get to play the balalaika. Or something. Did I mention you can be turned into, and play as, a cow in Project:Gorgon? I'm not sure whether you can get turned back. I stay very clear of anything that moos just in case it's catching.

The $40k stretch goal is also one for all the musos out there - the Bard skill. These are really solid, sensible, meaningful stretch goals that add substance to the game. Well, apart from the horse skin. That adds a horse skin. I wonder if cows can wear a horse skin?.

Eighteen days still to go in the campaign. I'm in two minds whether to upgrade my $25 Early Bird Contributor pledge and get the new $60 Contributor+1 instead. That gives two copies of the game and although I haven't yet persuaded Mrs Bhagpuss to give it a try I think it might appeal to her. I know the prospect of going vendor diving again certainly would.

I might just stick with what I've got, though, and buy her a copy when the game launches instead. If it hits the December 2016 release date it would make a great Christmas present.



3 comments:

  1. I gotta say, every blog post I read about Project:Gorgon, it smells more and more like a game that you can only enjoy if you share the creator's sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good observation. The humor doesn't get mentioned as often as it should. I'm not 100% sold on it myself. I think it's a little self-indulgent in places. I'm hoping it gets toned down and/or tightened up a bit by the time the game launches. On balance, though, I find it amusing a lot more often than not.

      Delete
  2. I'm really happy to have been introduced to this game! I didn't know how much I'd missed this oldskool type MMO. I hope the Bard class gets funded, and plan to keep spreading the news about P:G!

    ReplyDelete

Wider Two Column Modification courtesy of The Blogger Guide